Baked Vegetable Stew – Vegetable Stew is not only a vegetarian dish, but also a fast, easy, and nutritious meal for everybody. Chock full of fresh vegetables and delectable spices, this vegetable stew recipe is sure to have them coming back for seconds. And on a cool autumn afternoon when the kids are getting home from school this stew will help warm them up and at the same time be good for them.
Vegetarian Cooking doesn’t have to be bland and filled with tofu. Although it can be and often is. This recipe proves that being a non-meat eater can be fun and tasty.
How To Make Baked Vegetable Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large pinch saffron threads
- 2 cups diced peeled russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large, heavy Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, cinnamon stick, cumin, ginger, turmeric, and saffron threads and sauté until the spices become aromatic, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broth, raisins, chickpeas, zucchini, and tomato. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- This simple vegetable stew is a quick and easy recipe to make. When you need to feed your family, and you want to serve a meal that is nutritious as well as delicious, then this Vegetable Stew fits the bill.